One thing that surprised me was the appearance of square root of 2. I found it interesting that it was a unit. When it was explained, however, it makes sense. This being convenient for doubling or halving the area of land.
I definitely have questions about how they calculated certain angles. The article goes into some hypotheses, but it seems like there is still a lot to be discovered. I also have questions about the religious or special meaning of certain angles or structures. Again the article hints at this but doesn’t go into much depth- it would be interesting to learn more. I guess my last question would be, how could we make a fun activity out of ancient Egyptian surveying techniques to share with a class. I always think it’s most fun to learn by doing, and I think history especially lends itself to this type of learning.
You raised thoughtful questions about angles, symbolism, and classroom applications. I wonder what kinds of hands-on activities could help students experience surveying as both a mathematical and a cultural practice.
ReplyDelete